Monday, November 15, 2010

Wisdom of a 4 Year Old - On Finding Diversity

I tell people that the Gremlin deliberately embarrasses us because, well, he does. The Mother of the Gremlin took him to one of our favorite sandwich shops the other day, and the Gremlin, who had been whining all day, saw the store and took off - almost as if he was on a mission.

We should have been more aware, but we let him into the store and stepped in line to order. Suddenly, we hear the Gremlin's voice and turn to see him talking with a black man waiting for his food.

"'Scuse me." The man looked down and the Mother of the Gremlin made this small moan in the back of her throat, and then looked away, as if that would make the Gremlin stop.

"Where are all the black people in Seattle?" The man's eyes grew wide and then started looking around the store, probably to see if he was being Punk'd.

"I'm sorry, what?" The Gremlin pressed on.

"I have been looking and I cannot find any! There were LOTS in Chicago!" The man, thankfully, had a sense of humor and fired back.

"I don't know. Would you like to come back to my house? There are a lot there..." The Gremlin's eyes lit up. He ran over and plucked the backpack out of the MOTG's hands and walked back over.

"Okay, I'm ready!"

2 comments:

  1. It just took everyone by surprise, even the people working there.

    He loves being the center of attention....

    ReplyDelete