Friday, January 14, 2011

Traveling Takes A Lot Out Of You

I know, I just used 'a lot' and it is only partially because of one of the best comics I've ever seen.

We were rather specific about the neighborhood we moved into when we came to Seattle. It offered easy access to public transportation, to the highway, to groceries, as well as a downtown area; but mostly it had a 'neighborhood-y' feel. People smiled and waved and struck up conversation with everyone they passed on the street. People walked. There were community barbeque's and movies. It seemed like a great place to raise a kid.

Lo and behold, one of our neighbors has a daughter the same age as the Gremlin, and the two have become friends. Or had, up until the holiday season. It was only when we traveled to LA over the last week of December that we realized the Gremlin hadn't spent much time with his friend.

"In Seattle I had a friend named Jasper, but I don't know what happened to her." Not that I'm jealous, but a trip to Hawaii (paid for by the grandparents - hint, hint!), and then another trip to Canada to see the other grandparents had left the kindred spirits wondering about the other.

The reunion was as heartfelt as it was hilarious, as after only half an hour the Gremlin looked at her and said, "Jasper, I really enjoyed playing with you cause I forgot what you looked like, but now I have to get back to my toys." And he got up and walked off.


Favorite Toy of the Week: Candyland

PS - the Gremlin has lost 'Lickey' (not Lucky, but Lickey because he licks the Gremlin in his sleep), and the Gremlin has since been  complaining of monsters in his room. Another subtle hint to the grandparents :)

1 comment:

  1. ben & i agree, that truly is one of the funniest comics. so glad you posted it, we read most of the "best of"s and it had us laughing heartily for quite awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete