Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Following Directions

So every once in a while, I will try my hand at the culinary arts in an effort to reduce the stress on the rest of the family - give everyone a little break from "the normal routine." While I can't comment on the level of stress before/after I cook (read: before/after I create a mess), it's really interesting to see how the Gremlin responds to this shake-up.

For instance, last night I was doing a chimmichurry steak when I had a little "pouring malfunction" with the olive oil. With the Gremlin and his mother on the couch, I saw the opportunity to allow a small cleanup window. I spoke to the Gremlin,

"Keep your mother out of the kitchen for at least 5 minutes!" Without any debate or question, the Gremlin began asking his mother to help him draw, assemble a puzzle and *gasp* clean! When the MOTG (Mother of the Gremlin) wanted a glass of water, the 2-foot wall of steel was in front of her, "No, no, momma, I get you water from MY kitchen! Sit! Sit nice!" He herded her back to the couch and headed to his room.

Of course, this was more than enough time for me to clean up the olive oil (but not enough to clean up the various spices that covered the rest of the kitchen). So when the MOTG finally made it into the kitchen, I'd managed to clean about half of the mess that had previously been in there.

*Gasp* "WHAT HAPPENED TO MY KITCHEN?!" Immediately after the wail emerged from the MOTG, another came shrieking from the Gremlin's room.

"NO MOMMA! NO KITCHEN!" The Gremlin came streaking in like a toddler to sugar. He didn't know why, but he was upset that his mother was in the kitchen. Fortunately, a few words from daddy let him know it was okay for her to be in there.

You know, except for the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment